Dry Ice Blasting
We are one of the largest providers of dry ice blasting within 250 miles of our Montpelier, Ohio location. Dry ice blasting is primarily a mobile service, where our crews come to your job site or plant location and provide many different types of cleaning and surface preparation services.
- Paint prep interior & exterior building walls
- Ceiling rafter cleaning
- Degreasing parts, equipment & machinery
- Paint stack/booth cleaning
- Electric motor cleaning
- Wastewater/sewer system cleaning
- Asphalt removal
- Welding fixtures splatter removal
- Machine/equipment cleaning
- Custom dry ice blasting tooling
- Flash rust removal
- Fire damage cleaning
- Conveyor cleaning
- Partial to complete paint stripping
More About Dry Ice Blasting
Dry ice blasting uses frozen carbon dioxide – CO2 gas – which freezes at -109°F and is then machined into small pellets for blasting uses. Our dry ice blasting machines use compressed air to shoot the pellets at surfaces being cleaned. The combination of the dry ice and the compressed air combine to remove the unwanted material and leave a clean surface.
The three ways in which dry ice blasting works on your surface cleaning project:
- The Impact of the ice pellets on the surface being cleaned, boosted by compressed air, usually between 75-100psi, but can be boosted up to more than 200psi. This dislodges loose dirt and dusty debris.
- Thermal effect cleaning action. As the dry ice strikes the substrate surface, the temperature of both the dirt/residue layer and the substrate decreases. The freezing cold ice hitting the surface lowers the temperatures of different materials in unequal ways, for instance food residue freezes faster than the stainless steel surface underneath, and this effect causes the food to shrink and releases surface adhesion or surface tension, allowing the impact to remove the debris. This thermal effect helps to separate the dirt/residue from the substrate.
- Sublimation is the action where the solid dry ice converts almost instantly back into a gas. Upon impact with the surface, the ice to gas conversion releases all the energy that went into making the gas into a solid, releasing energy with an explosive effect that is a cleaning force multiplier, getting underneath loose debris and generally increasing the already potent cleaning power of just the impact itself.
Benefits of Dry Ice Blasting
- Safe, non-toxic and meets EDA, FDA, and USDA guidelines.
- FDA Food Grade Certified and upon contact can kill most bacteria, mold, mildew and fungus
- No dust from the blast media.
- Small, compact machinery footprint for mobile access to enclosed areas.
- Safe around electrical panels, controls and most electronics.
- Minimizes masking needs prior to blasting.
- Speeds up surface prep since minimal prep prior to coating needed due to absence of blast dust.